As friends of mine, and being the good people that you are - I'd like your help with something!
In 2012, I will join a group of volunteers going to Africa on a mission to help improve living standards in Ho, Ghana. This is a town about three hours outside of Accra, the capital of this small African nation. The town and surrounding villages have limited schooling, medicines, housing and so on for their children and people. Through a program called Globe Aware, I'll help by volunteering my time, effort and money to build and aid in the village school, participate in seasonal harvest, volunteer at the local orphanage, and work on other projects that arise. There are two types of need identified in this community. Orphanage support projects and village support projects. The former, in essence, includes projects to help make the lives of the children at local orphanages better. The latter are projects involving village schools or IT centers, where villagers are in dire need of the skills many of us take for granted. These skills could open up their world and provide them with opportunities they can only imagine at this point. Currently, the main project is the construction of a kindergarten in phases.
By making a pledge on my behalf, you are supporting the development of these children toward future independence, and contributing to a greater world of understanding and awareness. While I'll be personally paying for travel to Ghana and other incurred costs, there is a $990 program cost. Over 85% of your contribution goes directly to the programs; the other 15% is administration. Your donation is 100% tax deductible and you will receive a receipt for your tax records.
I appreciate your consideration in sponsoring me. Your support, no matter what the amount, is deeply appreciated. You can donate online, by clicking the link below.
Click on this link to help support me in my efforts to aid a community trying to achieve self-sustainability: http://www.globeaware.org/sponsor-volunteer-vacationer.
Globe Aware, a non-profit volunteer organization, is leading and organizing the program. Upon my return, I will send out a brief recap of the volunteer experience to all my sponsors. Thank you in advance for your support. Please call me if you have any questions or comments about this program. I can be reached at phone number.