- For background into the Angkorian Khmer civilisation, try Angkor: An Introduction by George CoedÃ¨s. The site is brought alive by Mark Standen's Passage through Angkor , one of the best photographic tributes to Angkor.
- David Chandler has written several books exploring Cambodia's history, including his History of Cambodia and Brother Number One - A Political Biography of Pol Pot .
- Nayan Chanda's Brother Enemy provides insight into Cambodia and Vietnam's descent into war, and the role played by China, the former USSR and the USA.
- Fictional accounts of time spent in Cambodia include Christopher J Koch's powerful Highways to a War and Lucretia Stewart's Tiger Balm .
- Sideshow: Kissinger, Nixon and the Destruction of Cambodia by William Shawcross documents the expansion of the Vietnam War into Cambodian territory.
- A Dragon Apparent by Norman Lewis and River of Time by Jon Swain take the reader back to a now-vanished Indochina.
Copyright 2010 Lonely Planet Publications , all rights reserved, used with permission